He's Not Heavy, He's My Brother!

There is a painting by an African-American artist I saw when I was younger, depicting a man reaching over a wall to help another man over to freedom. The caption under it read, “He’s not heavy, he’s my brother.” This painting was inspired by a song written by Bobby Scott and Bob Russell in 1969. The first verse in the song said:
The road is long with many a winding turn that leads us to who knows were, who knows when but I’m strong enough to carry him. He ain’t heavy, he’s my brother.
Now, I have this same painting in my home...
In these uncertain times there are a lot of brothers and sisters down who not only need a hand out but more importantly need a hand up. Especially from those of us who are in a position to help someone out. We should help lift them up because in helping them we really help ourselves.
The Elements of Encouragement...
Dear God,
Show me how to lift up my brothers and sisters who are not heavy. Give me discernment on who to lift and whose pulling me down. Give me the resources to help those who are not heavy. Thank you that one day when I was stuck in despair, that your love lifted me. When nothing else could help Jesus your love lifted me. Thank you for lifting me out of my mess.
In Jesus Name,
Amen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Toby Keith - Cryin' For Me (Wayman's Song)

I Always Feel Like Somebody's Watching Me!

Is there a difference between a Farmer and a Gardener?